Our city centre campus
In the heart of Wakefield city centre, the City Campus is a modern, social hub for any level of student. The building is equipped with all the facilities and resources that students need to support and enhance their learning and is only a five minute walk from Wakefield Westgate railway station and the bus station. The main campus is also home to the brand new Advanced Skills & Innovation Centre - the centre for the District’s higher level skills and the hub of the University Centre.
In addition to the main campus, we offer sport and construction courses from the Lightwaves facility right opposite the bus station, together with Mechanics' Performing Arts housed in the magnificient Waterton Building - the Mechanics' Theatre.
At the Wakefield City Campus, learners benefit from:
- A three-storey Library facility
- Our award-winning training restaurant, Gaskell’s, and Petite Gaskell’s Deli
- Spacious social lounges, Starbucks coffee bar and food court
- Purpose-built science labs
- The Advanced Skills & Innovation Centre - the new hub of high-level skills in the region
- A brand new engineering centre within the ASIC building
- Dedicated higher education facilities
- Professional courses delivered at the Business School at Wakefield College
- Games development studios
- Mechanics’ Performing Arts 160-seat theatre at the Waterton building
- Specialist Sport facilities at Lightwaves
Provision at the Wakefield City Campus
Curriculum areas that are based at the Wakefield City Campus are:
- A Level/Sixth Form
- Animal Care
- Athlete Development Programme
- Art, Design & Media
- Business, Management & Computing
- Fashion & Textiles
- Health & Social Care
- Hospitality & Catering
- Leisure & Tourism
Waterton Building & Mechanics’ Theatre
The old Wakefield Museum building, which was built in 1823, is just minutes from Wakefield City Campus. The Grade 2 listed building, featuring an ornate staircase with intricate ironwork, used to be a Mechanics’ Institute and is now the ideal home for our Performing Arts students and our Mechanics’ Theatre.
- a 160-seat professional, working theatre
- state-of-the-art facilities including fully equipped professional-standard dance and drama studios
- classrooms, rehearsal rooms and a backstage workshop
The Mechanics’ Theatre is used for a range of performances, internal events and shows as well as events for, and by, the Wakefield community.
The Lightwaves Centre houses our Sport and Public Services provision offering brand new, modern and spacious fitness and exercise suites. Lightwaves also offers Construction students a ‘live’ working environment where they can refurbish and renovate community projects and leave a positive mark on the community.